Looking for the best side dishes to have for your summer cookout? Then have a look at some of these delicious recipes that’ll have you salivating in no time. Let’s explore what goes good with chili dogs!
Table of Contents
- What are Chili Dogs?
- What Goes Good With Chili Dogs?
- How to Make Chili for Hot Dogs?
- Chili Dog Sides
What are Chili Dogs?
A chili dog refers to a hot dog served in a bun and topped with a thick meat sauce. Additional toppings can be added as well, and these may include cheese, onions, and mustard.
Chili dogs are a popular American food, like the other known Philly cheesesteak!
What Goes Good With Chili Dogs?
If you’ve had hot dogs before, then you’re probably familiar with the delicious hot chili sauce that is poured over the top of the grilled sausage. This provides immaculate flavors, that can only be enhanced with a variety of side dishes.
Take a look at some of these mouth-watering side dishes to go with it:
- Potato salad
- Corn salad
- Pasta salad
- Air fryer potato chips
- Sweet potato fries
- French fries
- Zucchini fries
- Grilled parmesan asparagus
- Corn on the cob
- Mango salsa
- Baked beans
- Baked potato
- Grilled summer fruit
Whether you pour it over your grilled hot dog, or simply serve it as a side, chili makes the perfect accompaniment for hot dogs.
For extra fulfilment, serve your chili dogs on a pretzel bun for a flavorful twist.
For a hearty and creamy side to tackle the spiciness enveloping your taste buds, try this delicious potato salad.
Rich potato salad, pairs wonderfully with savory hot dogs, plus the hot chili only makes it better!
- When making potato salad, use red, or white potatoes. Peel and cook for 20 minutes, then slice into bite-sized chunks.
- Add onions and celery, then drench in mayonnaise.
- Finally, garnish with salt and pepper and enjoy!
A refreshing corn salad side dish will complement your chili cheese dog perfectly. This salad is entirely customizable, but utilises the sweetness of corn to tackle the overpowering spices from the hot chili.
You can even amplify the heat, if that’s your vibe, and add some chopped jalapenos, and red onions to the mix. For best results, scoop some of the hot chili from your hot dog, and drop it into your corn salad for an, even more, richer taste.
If you’re looking for a side that’s incredibly light and refreshing, then try nutritious pasta salad dish.
Choose a fun pasta shape, and your favorite veggies to throw into the mix. Serve this delicious side dish with freshly grilled hot dogs, for the perfect complementary meal.
Air Fryer Potato Chips
Crisp and healthy air fryer potato chips make the perfect side dish to pair with hot dogs. Toss them in your favorite seasonings before serving with grilled hot dogs.
You can even serve them with a side of chili, and dip these crisp and crunchy beauties into the chilies for a flavorful delight.
You can also try air fried curly fries!
Sweet Potato Fries
If you’re looking for something sweet to serve with your chili hot dogs, go for some baked sweet potato fries.
These are crisp and delightful, you can even dip them into the chili-coated hot dog, or dunk them in ketchup. Take a huge bite out of your spicy hot dog, for a mouthful of heaven.
Hot dogs are a classic, that it would only make sense to serve them with another. When looking for the perfect side to have with chili hot dogs, you can’t go wrong with a plate loaded with French fries.
Lightly seasoned with salt and cayenne pepper, to delight your taste buds.
If you’re looking for a more healthier side to throw into the mix, why not try zucchini fries?
They’re super simple and incredibly tasty, once you’ve take a bite you’ll never want to go back!
- Simply coat your sliced zucchini in egg white, then panko and flour
- Deep fry till crisp and golden.
- Dip in your favorite sauce for ultimate satisfaction.
Grilled Parmesan Asparagus
While you’re in the process of grilling your delicious chili cheese dogs, simply toss these rich asparagus stalks on the grill as well.
- When preparing the asparagus, trim the ends off and lay them in a pan.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then toss in olive oil.
- Lay the asparagus on the grill in a row, and grill for 5-10 minutes until they’re charred and fork tender.
- Toss the grilled asparagus in garlic and parmesan cheese then serve.
Corn on the Cob
When the grill’s out it’s time to introduce corn to the mix. You can’t possibly serve hot dogs without a side of charred corn on the cob. Combine chili dogs with grilled corn, and you’re in for a sweet, buttery treat that is simply irresistible.
- Peel off the corn husks and place the corn directly on to the grill grates.
- Once the kernels begins to shrivel and shrink, the corn is ready to eat.
- Before you sink your teeth into its sweetened nectar, douse the hot corn in lots of butter.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper over the corn and enjoy.
This cool and refreshing mango salad beats an ordinary bowl of chopped salad. Made with 5 ingredients, and 10 minutes of prep time; you’ll have a delicious side dish ready in no time.
Simply dice up some mangoes, then add in cilantro, lime, jalapenos, and red onion. This salsa is delicious with some ordinary tortilla chips, and of course, makes the perfect side to serve with hot dogs.
Nachos and chili hot dog are the ultimate food combination that needed to make the list. You can’t enjoy a glob of chili without nachos!
This layered side dish features nachos, ground beef, shredded cheese, pico de gallo, avocados and sour cream. The perfect side to serve at a party or BBQ!
Looking for the perfect classic side dish to serve with hot dogs? Try this creamy purple coleslaw. You’ll need purple cabbage, and lots of it!
- Cut your purple cabbage into thin slices, or purchase pre-shredded cabbage for easier prep.
- Combine mayonnaise, mustard, apple cider vinegar, and celery seed to make a creamy coleslaw dressing.
- You can make this recipe in advance, so that it has time to sit and absorb the delicious flavors of the dressing, while you prep your hot dogs and chili.
No summer cookout is complete without a bowl of baked beans. Load these delectable beans with brown sugar, chopped bacon, and ground beef, for the perfect comfort meal.
You can also include some hot chili into the mix for an alternating experience of flavors and textures.
Potatoes make a great side dish for most meals, especially those that involve grilled hot dogs!
Add a glob of sour cream, followed by bacon bits and chives for the perfect loaded baked potato.
Grilled Summer Fruit
These super easy grilled summer fruits are the best side dish to have when you’re looking for something quick and refreshing. Plus they look so juicy when grilled alongside your hot dogs!
Add nectarines and plums, sprinkling them with sugar before adding skewers. The key here is to caramelize the exterior before indulging in the extra sweetness.
How to Make Chili for Hot Dogs?
A grilled hot dog is incomplete without its chili
Check out the hot chili recipe below, and give it a try!
- 1/2 pound bacon cut in small pieces
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 4 chopped garlic cloves
- 16 ounce canned tomato sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons molasses or honey
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cayenne
- Fry the bacon over medium heat until it becomes crispy, then add the chopped onions, and fry over high heat, stirring occasionally until they turn brown.
- Stir in the ground beef and cook over high heat, until the beef has browned slightly, then add some chopped garlic.
- Once the beef is well browned, stir in the tomato sauce, molasses and beef broth. Add all the spices, apart from the cayenne and stir thoroughly. Bring the beef mixture to a simmer then add salt and cayenne. You can add more cayenne or chili powder if you want it to taste more spicy.
- Cook the chili on a gentle simmer for 30 minutes, before you start grilling hot dogs. You can cook the chili for a couple hours longer if you wish. But remember to add a little more beef broth if the chili gets dry.
Chili Dog Sides
Whether you’re craving a sweet or savory recipe to have alongside main dish, these side dishes will surely elevate your extraordinary chili hot dog, ushering your gut to ultimate satisfaction.
How do I Spruce up My Chili Dog?
Instead of sprinkling some cheese on top of your chili hot dog, give it a sweet twist by adding a spoonful of creamy coleslaw.