Mold On Rice – Can You Still Eat Moldy Rice?

Published Categorized as Journal

One of the most common cooking mistakes is overestimating the amount of rice you will need and ending up with lots of leftovers. If you do not store your rice properly you can end up with mold on the rice. In this article we will explore what kinds of mold can grow on rice.

Hey there! This site is reader-supported and I earn commissions if you purchase products from retailers after clicking on a link from this site.
Chinese Burnt Garlic Fried Rice

Does Rice Get Moldy?

Yes, both cooked and uncooked rice can get moldy if it is not stored properly or has expired. If your rice is exposed to any water that can make it moist, this moist environment will welcome mold to grow.

Watch the video below of black mold developing in rice:

To prevent mold, place your rice in a cool, dry place to store.

Is It Safe To Eat Rice With Mold?

Is mold on rice dangerous? Yes, mold on rice is very dangerous and you should never consume rice if it has mold on it.

This mold can show in different ways. It is best to examine your rice before you eat it and check for signs of spolage.

Can You Get Sick From Moldy Rice?

What happens if you eat moldy rice?

If you eat moldy rice you can get very sick and develop food poisoning from the bad bacteria that has grown on the uncooked or cooked rice. This is due to the presence of bacillus cereus which can cause you to experience food poisoning symptoms.

These symptoms of food poisoning can show themselves as vomiting, diarrhea, nausea, and abdominal cramps. Food poisoning can also lead to more serious illnesses

What Causes Mold In Rice?

No matter what type of mold it is, mold grows from small spores that float in the air. If the spores fall onto pieces of food that are either damp or moist mold can start to grow. The mold when it starts growing can then feed itself and break down the food, making the food begin to rot.

Paella

How Do You Get Mold Out Of Rice?

Some people do actually clean the mold out of their uncooked rice by washing the rice in soapy water. People can soak the rice in either warm water or cold water to help clean off the mold from the rice. We would recommend that you throw the rice away if there are any signs of mold as you can not be one hundred percent sure that you have removed all traces of mold and dangerous bacteria from your food.

Types of Mold on Rice

What Type Of Mold Grows On Rice

The type of mold that grows on rice is called Aspergillus oryzae. It is a type of fungus. Aspergillus oryzae can cause you to be unwell if it is consumed.

Black Mold On Rice

Black mold is one of the most common mold that can be grown on your rice. Another term for black bread mold is Rhizopus stolonifer.

Consuming any food that has black mold growing is very dangerous and can lead to serious illness.

White Mold On Rice

White mold is a term used for many kinds of molds that sit within different species of mold that always appear in a white shade. The specific species names are aspergillus, cladosporium, and penicillium. White mold can sometimes appear in  a gray shade and will grow rapidly if the food is moist.

It is important to keep your rice away from water as this could help white mold grow rapidly.

Green Mold On Rice

Green mold on rice is very common. It will show as a fuzzy mold with a dark green color.

Green mold is used as a term for many kinds of molds that sit within different species of mold. Green mold commonly grown on carbohydrates such as bread and pasta. The green mold can also look like a powder. If you see any signs of green mold on your cooked or uncooked rice you should discard it immediately.

brown ceramic bowl with uncooked rice

Does Uncooked Rice Mold

Yes, dry uncooked rice can actually begin to grow mold if it is stored in the wrong environment. Also if it’s accidentally exposed to elements that will make it grow mold, such as water.

Dry white uncooked rice commonly has a shelf life of 2 years. It is very long-lasting and durable.

Brown dry uncooked rice is less durable and can last up to 6 months if not exposed to any dangerous elements.

There are signs that your rice has expired that you can look out for. These include looking to see if there is any hole in the packaging, any bugs in the rice, if the rice is damp and black marks which are mold. If you see any of these signs it is best to throw your rice away immediately.

Accidentally Ate Moldy Rice

If you have accidentally eaten moldy rice then you may experience side effects from eating food that has turned bad. You will experience symptoms as the nasty bacteria that grows on rice will start to negatively affect your body. You could experience symptoms such as shortness of breath, nausea, diarrhea or change in temperature. If you experience these symptoms you should seek medical help immediately.

How To Spot Mold On Rice

What does mold look like on rice? There are a few ways to clearly and quickly tell if your rice has turned moldy. Here is a list of ways you can tell if mold has started to grow on your rice: 

  • The appearance: If you start to see some darker patches that are either a black or green shade this is the presence of mold. This mold can grow on cooked rice and rice that has not been cooked. If there is mold on your rice then it is spoiled and should not be used.If you start to see hair on your rice and what looks like white fluff similar to cotton candy then this is also mold. Mold can look very different depending on what kind of mold it is.
  • The texture: If the texture of your cooked rice has begun to change then this could be a sign that your rice has turned bad and you should discard it immediately. When cooked rice dries out and becomes solid then this is a sign that you should not be eating the rice. Mold can start to grow after the rice has hardened.
  • The smell: With any food, if the smell of your rice changes this is a big sign that your rice has gone off and will soon start to develop mold. An off smell can smell sour or just different to how your rice smelt before it has been stored. If the smell of your rice has changed or become noticeably unpleasant, you should not consume the cooked rice or rice that has not yet been cooked.
uncooked rice in a container

If In Doubt, Throw The Rice Away!

You should never eat moldy rice or try to remove the mold from the rice. Your best bet is to always throw away your rice if it has started to grow mold.

Why not read more from our blog?

Published
Categorized as Journal

By Anna

Hey, I’m Anna; writer, editor and amateur cook extraordinaire! Food has been my life and my passion for the most of my life – it’s crazy to think I didn’t pursue a career in cooking. I’m obsessed! However, keeping cooking as an obsessive hobby has worked for me – my passion grows as the years pass by – maybe I wouldn’t say the same if it was also my day job! I hope you find cooking inspiration, entertainment and “stop and think interesting tid-bits” throughout my writing – and I’d love to hear from you if you’ve got anything you want to share. Food feeds the soul – so get eating!

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.