Fried rice is one of my favorite dishes to order if I decide to get a Chinese takeaway. I have even tried to cook fried rice myself and it is a dish that never fails to please. Though, will health and safety at the back of my mind I have found myself not knowing how to reheat fried rice safely.
Food poisoning can be very dangerous and it is something everyone wants to avoid at all costs. Rice is known for occasionally causing food poisoning when it has not been heated right as dangerous bacteria can grow very quickly. In this article we will explore how to reheat fried rice safely and when to know if you can reheat fried rice or chuck it away.
Table of Contents
- How Do You Reheat Leftover Chinese Fried Rice?
- How Do You Reheat Fried Rice In The Microwave?
- How Do You Reheat Rice Without Drying It Out?
- Can You Reheat Chicken Fried Rice The Next Day?
- What Is The Best Way To Reheat Rice Without A Microwave?
- How To Reheat Chicken Fried Rice On Stove
- How To Reheat Shrimp Fried Rice
- How To Reheat Pork Fried Rice
- How To Reheat Frozen Fried Rice
- Only Reheat Rice Once!
How Do You Reheat Leftover Chinese Fried Rice?
Can you reheat fried rice? Can you reheat leftover fried rice? Yes you can1
But it can be a tricky food to get right when reheating. When you reheat fried rice you have to be careful you do not overheat the rice as it can make the fried rice very dried out, bland and almost create a crunchy texture.
When you properly store fried rice in a fridge, your leftover fried rice can last up to 5-7 days. It is always best to check to see if the rice has spoiled before you reheat it.
Here is a list of signs to look for on your leftover Chinese rice to make sure it has not turned bad:
- Change of smell: If your leftover Chinese rice develops an “off smell” it is best to discard it.
- Weird flavor: If your leftover Chinese rice develops a weird, slightly moldy flavor it is best to discard it.
- Darker appearance: If your leftover Chinese rice changes its color, either patches turning darker or lighter then it is best to discard it.
Here are some other great tips to make sure that your leftover chinese rice is safe to eat days after your takeaway:
- To make sure the rice does not turn dry, sprinkle some water over the leftover rice before storing in the fridge.
- Never leave the rice at room temperature. Place the leftover rice straight in the fridge to stop the bacteria from growing.
- When reheating, make sure all the rice has been reheated properly.
- Only reheat your rice once.
Wondering how to reheat egg fried rice? There’s plenty of ways! You can actually reheat egg fried rice using a microwave, oven, stove and even an air fryer. The egg fried rice will be safe to consume using all reheating methods, especially if you make sure to follow our step by step methods below.
How Do You Reheat Fried Rice In The Microwave?
Reheating your fried rice in the microwave is a great method of reheating. It is super simple, quick and nearly just as good for the flavor of the rice as frying it.
Here is a step by step method to follow on how to reheat fried rice in the microwave:
- Step 1: Add three teaspoons of water to the fried rice. This will add moisture back into the rice when reheating. The water will also enhance the flavor of the fried rice.
- Step 2: Use a microwave safe bowl and add the fried rice and water to it.
- Step 3: Cover the microwave safe bowl with a microwave safe plate to make sure the water does not splatter in the microwave.
- Step 4: Reheat the fried rice for 3 minutes.
- Step 5: Mix and fluff up the rice thoroughly.
- Step 6: Reheat the fried rice for another 3 minutes.
- Step 7: Allow the rice to cool before serving.
How Do You Reheat Rice Without Drying It Out?
The best way to reheat rice without drying it out is to always add liquid to the rice before reheating it. The liquid will give moisture back to the rice while it is reheating.
You do not have to add a lot of liquid to the fried rice to add moisture. Adding 3 teaspoons of the water to the fried rice will be enough liquid to add moisture to the fried rice. This will depend on how much fried rice you are wanting to reheat and the method of reheating you choose. You may want to add more water to the fried rice if you are reheating the fried rice in an air fryer or pan.
If you are reheating the fried rice in a microwave you may want to add less water.
Can You Reheat Chicken Fried Rice The Next Day?
Yes, you can reheat chicken fried rice the next day. In fact, it is actually less dangerous bacteria-wise to reheat your leftover chicken fried rice within 24 hours of storing it within the fridge.
When you do decide to reheat the leftover chicken fried rice, make sure that you always check that it is steaming hot all the way through. Always make sure you do not reheat the leftover chicken fried rice more than once as this can be dangerous and cause food poisoning.
What Is The Best Way To Reheat Rice Without A Microwave?
There are many other ways you can reheat leftover rice without a microwave that are effective, quick and cna make your rice reheat with flavor. Using a frying pan to reheat your fried rice is the best way of reheating your rice. Reheating in a frying pan will allow you to reheat the rice evenly, making sure you kill all the nasty bacteria that will cause food poisoning. Reheating in a frying pan will also absorb the water you add better meaning that your rice will be moist and not dry.
Here is how to reheat fried rice without a microwave:
- Frying pan: Reheating your rice using a frying pan has the best reviews.
- Oven: Reheating your rice using an oven is a very popular choice but runs the risk of drying your rice out.
- Air fryer: Reheating your rice using an air fryer is another quick alternative to a microwave oven.
Many people do not like using microwaves to cook or reheat food due to the radiation the microwave produces. It is safe to reheat any type of fried rice in the microwave along as the temperature of the rice reaches between 74 degrees Celsius and 165 degrees Celsius. If the reheated fried rice reaches a temperature within these two temperatures then the dangerous bacteria will be killed.
How To Reheat Fried Rice In A Pan
Many people ask how to reheat rice on a stove as it seems it may take longer and be more complicated. Reheating fried rice in a frying pan is the best method of reheating fried rice. It may take longer than a microwave but it is the best way to reheat rice to make sure you do not lose the flavor or moisture of the rice.
Here is a simple step by step method to follow to reheat your fried rice in a frying pan:
- Step 1: Add one tablespoon of oil or butter to the leftover fried rice. Adding oil or butter will add moisture to the rice when reheating. Adding butter or any type of oil will also make sure that the leftover fried rice does not stick to the bottom of the pan when reheating. If you choose to add butter to the leftover fried rice, it can make the fried rice taste richer.
- Step 2: Once you have added an oil of your choice or a tablespoon of butter, add a quarter of a cup of water to the fried rice. Cover the rice and water with a saucepan lid.
- Step 3: Break up the large chunks of cold rice in the pan so that the rice will cook evenly.
- Step 4: Fry the rice for 15 minutes or until the water has disappeared.
- Step 5: When the fried rice has absorbed all the water and has an even temperature, take the pan off the heat. Serve the reheated fried rice.
How To Reheat Fried Rice In Oven
Reheating leftover fried fried in the oven is a very popular choice when reheating leftover rice. But this method can make the rice less flavorful and create a crunchy texture.
Here is a simple step by step method to follow on how to reheat fried rice using an oven:
- Step 1: To avoid the rice becoming dry in the oven, add 7 teaspoons of water to the rice. Place it and the water in an oven safe dish or baking tray.
- Step 2: To make the leftover rice crispy on the outside, cover the dish when placing it into the oven. If you do not want your leftover rice to be crispy on the outside, then skip this step.
- Step 3: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Step 4: Once the oven has reached the desired temperature, place the rice in the oven on the middle shelf. Bake the leftover rice for 20 minutes.
- Step 5: Allow the reheated rice to cool and then serve it.
How To Reheat Fried Rice In Air Fryer
Reheating rice in an air fryer is one of the quickest ways to reheat leftover fried rice, along with using a microwave oven.
With an air fryer, you do not have to add any liquid to it. The air fryer will help the rice have moisture naturally. This means that reheating leftover fried rice in an air fryer is one of the easiest ways to reheat rice as it requires less steps.
Here is a simple step by step method to follow to reheat leftover fried rice in an air fryer:
- Step 1: Place the leftover fried rice into the air fryer basket.
- Step 2: Set the air fryer to a high heat and cook the leftover fried rice for 10 minutes.
- Step 3: Check that the rice is evenly up to temperature.
- Step 4: Allow the rice to cool for 2 minutes and then serve.
How To Reheat Chicken Fried Rice On Stove
Reheating leftover chicken fried rice in a pan on the stove is the best method you could choose. Reheating chicken fried rice in a pan on the stove will allow for the chicken to be able to evenly cook and heat up. Making sure that the chicken is up to a safe temperature to consume is very important. Reheating in a pan will allow the chicken to consistently reheat.
Reheating chicken fried rice in a pan like a wok will be very helpful as you will be able to mix the fried rice easily and make sure all the fried rice is reheated properly.
Using a wok will allow you to add extra ingredients to your leftover fried rice, making it taste fresh and flavoursome. We would recommend adding ingredients like eggs, extra chicken or any other type of meat and a mic of vegetables to your leftover chicken fried rice.
Here is a simple step by step method to reheat chicken fried rice, along with a recipe to make your chicken fried rice more flavoursome:
You will need:
- One wok pan
- Chicken fried rice
- One white onion
- Half a packet of bean sprouts
- 1 red bell pepper
- About a spoonful of butter
- Step 1: Warm up the wok to a medium heat. Add the butter to make sure the chicken fried rice does not stick to the bottom of the wok.
- Step 2: Add the rice to wok and allow to heat up for 15 minutes.
- Step 3: Cut the red bell pepper and onion into small slices.
- Step 4: Add the red bell pepper, bead sprouts and onion to the fried rice to add more flavor.
- Step 5: Add 3 tablespoons of water to the pan to add moisture to the rice to add moisture.
- Step 6: Once the water has evaporated the rice will be ready. Check the temperature of the reheated fried rice to make sure it is heated consistently.
- Step 7: Allow the reheated fried rice to cool and serve.
How To Reheat Shrimp Fried Rice
Shrimp is very difficult to reheat as it does not rise to a safe temperature quickly.
If you are wanting to reheat shrimp fried rice it is best to use an oven and a pot. Make sure to add the shrimp fried rice into a bowl that you can cover. This allows the rice to steam. The steam will help the shrimp in the shrimp fried rice rise to the safe temperature to consume.
How To Reheat Pork Fried Rice
When reheating fried rice that has added extras such as pork or shrimp you will need to make sure that the meat in the dish is also correctly heated as well as the fried rice.
The best way to do this is to separate the meat from the rice. Reheat them both separately until they are up to temperature.
You can use an oven, stove or microwave to reheat pork fried rice. You can also reheat the fried rice as a whole. But make sure to use a kitchen probe to check that the temperature of the meat in the rice is safe to consume.
How To Reheat Frozen Fried Rice
Many people choose to freeze their leftover fried rice so that they can reheat it months later. Leftover fried rice that has been frozen and stored safely can last for up to 7 months rather than 3-4 days when stored in the fridge.
Here is the safest way to defrost your fired rice:
- Step 1: Place the frozen fried rice into a microwave safe bowl with a microwave safe lid.
- Step 2: Microwave the frozen fried rice for 2 minutes on a medium heat.
- Step 3: Use a spoon to break up the lumps of rice.
- Step 4: Microwave the frozen fried rice again in 2 minute intervals until it is fully thawed out.
Is It Safe To Eat Cold Rice From The Fridge?
Eating cold rice that has been sitting in the fridge is safe as long as you store and handle it properly. If you store the cold rice properly then you can avoid food poisoning. After the rice has been cooked, make sure to place it in the fridge one hour after and keep it stored in the fridge. If it has been in the fridge overnight it will be safe to eat the next morning.
How Do You Fix Soggy Fried Rice?
If you are reheating your fried rice, make sure to use the fried rice that has been stored in the fridge. When the fried rice is being stored in the fridge, the cold will make the grains start to firm and become crunchy. To make sure your rice does not turn soggy, only add a little bit of water when reheating.
If your fried rice is already soggy, make sure that you do not add any more moisture when you go to reheat it. It may also be best to use an oven to reheat the soggy fried rice as the oven will dry the rice out better than a microwave will.
Can You Reheat Rice From A Takeaway?
Yes, you can reheat takeaway rice but only once! Takeaway fried rice can be the host of nasty bacteria called bacillus cereus. Bacillus cereus can cause you to have symptoms of food poisoning. Reheating takeaway fried rice more than once can endanger you to bacillus cereus.
Only Reheat Rice Once!
You can effectively heat up leftover fried rice no matter what type of rice it is. Reheating rice can be very simple, you can use a microwave which is quick. You can also use a stove to reheat rice which will add more flavor. You can use an oven to reheat rice. This method will combat soggy rice. Or you can use an air fryer, which is the simplest method of all.
The most important thing to remember when you are reheating rice is to make sure you only reheat the rice once.
How do you reheat leftover fried rice?