You may think that you can’t make breadcrumbs sans a food processor because realistically, what will be able to get bread to become as fine and evenly sized as breadcrumbs need to be? We have the answer. It IS possible to make breadcrumbs without using a food processor.
We have found three different methods and we will explain exactly how to make breadcrumbs without a food processor in this article.
Table of Contents
- How Do You Make Breadcrumbs Without A Food Processor?
- How To Make Breadcrumbs With A Blender
- How To Make Breadcrumbs By Hand
- How To Make Breadcrumbs Without Bread
- How To Make Breadcrumbs With A Toaster
- How Do You Make Breadcrumbs Without Panko
- Hand Making Breadcrumb Is Possible!
How Do You Make Breadcrumbs Without A Food Processor?
Breadcrumbs are very small crumbs of bread that are evenly sized and in a near powder like form. Breadcrumbs can either be fresh and soft or toasted. These are often used to coat food like chicken.
Do you need a food processor to make breadcrumbs? Absolutely not! There are plenty of ways to make breadcrumbs either by hand or find appliances to replace a food processor.
The best ways to make breadcrumbs without a food processor is to use a blender, a hand grater or a rolling pin.
The challenge when trying to make breadcrumbs at home is making sure the size is even and the breadcrumbs look consistent. The advantages of making breadcrumbs at home mean that you can choose the type of bread you would like to use, meaning your breadcrumbs will be made from 100% breadcrumbs, with no filler ingredients. It will also be free of preservatives. Also, you can use any type of breading when making your own breadcrumbs. This mean you get full control over what your breadcrumbs are made out of.
How To Make Breadcrumbs With A Blender
A great alternative to a food processor for making breadcrumbs is a blender. Find a strong bender that will be able to cope when blending the breadcrumbs.
Can you make breadcrumbs with a hand blender? Yes! A stick blender works well and you can always blend small batches of bread at a time to give the blender time to keep up.
Here are some instructions to follow to make breadcrumbs with a blender:
- Step 1: Tear up the fresh or toasted bread into small pieces.
- Step 2: Add a few pieces of bread to the blender to make the first batch.
- Step 3: Turn on blender for 30 seconds before checking how small the bread crumbs are.
- Step 4: Once you have blended to an even consistency, sift the bread crumbs and repeat the process.
How To Make Breadcrumbs By Hand
Can you make breadcrumbs by hand? Yes, it is possible. But it may take you a long time.
We have two methods that can make breadcrumbs by hand for you to try out yourself.
The first method uses a grater, which we are sure you’ll have hiding somewhere in your kitchen cupboard. Here is how to make breadcrumbs by hand with a grater:
- Step 1: Toast a piece of bread using a toaster or keep your bread dry.
- Step 2: Start to grate your bread against a box-shaped larger grater.
- Step 3: Once you are near the end of grating the whole piece of bread, check the size of your breadcrumbs and remove any large breadcrumbs you don’t like.
- Step 4: Repeat this until you have the desired amount of breadcrumbs.
Even though a grater will be time consuming and difficult, it will create more even sized breadcrumbs.
The second method involves toasting the bread and using a rolling pin. Here is how to use a rolling pin to make breadcrumbs by hand:
- Step 1: Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Slice the bread into halves and toast the bread for 15 minutes.
- Step 2: Once the bread is toasted, allow the bread to cool for 5 minutes and turn stiff and solid.
- Step 3: Place the bread into thick plastic see-through airtight cooking bags. Make sure to get tough bags or the bags may break while you’re hand-making the breadcrumbs.
- Step 4: Crush the bread in the bag with a rolling pin. Check the consistency and keep crushing until the breadcrumbs are a uniform size.
How To Make Breadcrumbs Without Bread
You can make breadcrumbs without bread as there are plenty of alternatives.
Crackers, pretzels, cornflakes and unsweetened cereals can all be used to replace breadcrumbs.
It’s best to place your chosen replacement into an airtight cooking bag and crush with either a rolling pin or a pan.
How To Make Breadcrumbs With A Toaster
Be careful when crushing toasted slices of bread to make breadcrumbs, as well-toasted bread can turn into a powder if it crumbles too much. Therefore it’s better to hand make toasted breadcrumbs.
Here’s how to make breadcrumbs with a toaster:
- Step 1: Toast your bread in either an oven or a toaster. The toast must be very dry and firm. Allow the toast to cool.
- Step 2: Break the toast into pieces and place it in an airtight bag. Use a rolling pin to crumble the toasted bread.
How Do You Make Breadcrumbs Without Panko
Panko is a Japanese style of breadcrumbs, which is often used as a coating for fried foods and meats. Panko is made by baking breadcrumbs to give them more crunch and color.
Just like bread, panko is easy to substitute. Crushing cornflakes, cracker crumbs or tortilla chips can all be great substitutes for panko due to their crunchy texture. You can blend these ingredients either by hand or by using a blender.
Crackers and cornflakes will be easier to turn into consistent crumbs by hand than breadcrumbs are as they have more of a dense, breakable consistency.
Hand Making Breadcrumb Is Possible!
You don’t need to rush to buy a food processor anytime soon as there are great ways to make breadcrumbs using blenders and your hand. Making breadcrumbs at home can give you more control over what the of breadcrumbs you use and is well worth the effort.
What Can You Use If You Don’t Have Breadcrumbs?
If you have an allergy to wheat and gluten or even an intolerance, you may want to replace breadcrumbs. There are so many other natural ingredients you can use to replace bread crumbs, which are all cost-effective and easily accessible.
Cornflakes, oats, pretzels, nuts and seeds of any kind, potato chips, crackers and shredded coconut can all be used as a replacement for breadcrumbs. All of these ingredients contain a slight crisp to them and can be blended to be as fine as bread crumbs can be.
How Long Do Homemade Breadcrumbs Last?
If you are storing your breadcrumbs at room temperature, they will last for a maximum of two weeks before you should discard them. If you store your breadcrumbs in the fridge, they can keep for two months before turning bad. If freezing your breadcrumbs, their expiry date extends to six months.