Spam is a tasty ingredient that can be eaten and cooked in multiple ways! Knowing how to cook spam correctly can be tricky. In this article we’ll show you several methods on how to cook spam. You can use an oven, a microwave, an air fryer and even a rice cooker.
How To Cook Spam In Oven
Heating spam in the oven is the best way to ensure that the spam crisps up on the outer edges. Heating spam in the oven can risk drying the spam out. Therefore, it’s important to not leave it in the oven for long periods of time.
Here is a simple method to make sure you don’t overcook your spam when cooking in the oven:
- Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Step 2: Place the spam onto a baking tray on one of the lower shelves of the oven.
- Step 3: Heat the spam for a maximum of 20 minutes. If the spam is getting too crispy, take the spam out of the oven before this time.
How To Cook Spam In Microwave
Microwaving spam can be the fastest method when heating spam up the temperature to consume.
Here is a simple step by step method on how to cook spam in a microwave:
- Step 1: Slice the cold spam into thin but even slices.
- Step 2: Place the spam on a microwave-safe plate and place into the microwave.
- Step 3: Cook the spam for 45 seconds in the microwave.
- Step 4: Flip the spam to show the opposite side. Place back into the microwave for 10 seconds.
- Step 5: Remove the spam from the microwave as it is now ready to eat.
Cooking Spam In Air Fryer
An air fryer is another quick alternative just like the microwave to cook spam and beats the time an oven or stove takes to cook spam by miles. An air fryer can keep the spam moist and can crisp up the outsides of the spam.
Here is a simple step by step method on how to cook spam in an air fryer:
- Step 1: Cut the spam into small and even slices, no thicker than 1cm in width.
- Step 2: Preheat the air fryer to at least 190°C (390°F) and wait five minutes for the air fryer to be properly heated before placing the spam inside the basket.
- Step 3: Once the fryer is heated, place the slices of spam into the air fryer basket, making sure to keep the slices separated from each other so they are not touching.
- Step 4: Cook the spam slices for 5 minutes.
- Step 5: Flip each spam slice and cook for a further 5 minutes.
How To Cook Spam In Rice Cooker
A rice cooker is a quick and easy way to cook spam with your rice dish with minimal steps.
Here is a simple step by step method on how to cook spam in a rice cooker:
- Step 1: Wash the rice by allowing it to soak for at least one hour.
- Step 2: Fill the rice cooker with 2 cups of water or vegetable stock.
- Step 3: Add the rice to the pot along with as much spam as you desire.
- Step 4: Set the pot to the cook setting and wait for the allocated time until the rice and spam are ready.
How To Cook Spam and Eggs
Wondering how to cook spam for breakfast? Many people state that spam is best served with fried, scrambled, pouch or any form of egg dish! Egg pairs nicely with spam just like it naturally pairs nicely with ham.
Here is a delicious method to follow to cook a spam and egg dish:
You will need:
- 4 slices of spam
- 2 eggs
- Grated cheese (for sprinkling)
How to make:
- Step 1: Beat your eggs in preparation to make scrambled eggs.
- Step 2: Heat a frying pan to medium heat and add the eggs to the pan.
- Step 3: Shortly after, add the spam to the frying pan along with the raw egg.
- Step 4: Cook the eggs for 10 minutes until they look a lighter shade and have become more solid.
- Step 5: Sprinkle cheese over the eggs while still hot so the cheese melts.
How To Cook Spam Hawaiian Style
Hawaiian style spam is a very popular way of consuming spam. It is made up of fried slices of spam on rice pressed together to form a small block and wrapped together with seaweed. Its appearance is very similar to sushi.
Here is a simple step by step method on how to cook spam in a hawaiian style:
You will need:
- 1 cups uncooked white rice
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 cup plain water
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 6 ounces of spam
- 1 sheet of nori/sushi seaweed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
How to make:
- Step 1: Soak the white rice in plain water for 3 hours. Drain until all the water has gone. Continue to wash the rice three times to remove the starch. Once the water that you are draining from the rice becomes clear you will then know that you have rinsed off as much starch as you possibly can.
- Step 2: Boil the plain water in a separate saucepan and add the rice. Allow the rice to simmer for 20 minutes before adding the rice vinegar. Once the 20 minutes are up, allow your rice to sit and cool.
- Step 3: Use a mixing bowl and combine the soy sauce and sugar until it becomes a smooth liquid.
- Step 4: Cut the spam into thin and even slices and cook in the sauce for 5-10 minutes, depending on how crispy you want the spam.
- Step 5: Cut the sushi seaweed into strips and place the cooked rice in the center, forming a block.
- Step 6: Place a slice of spam on top of that block and wrap the seaweed around the rice and spam.
How To Cook Spam For Ramen
An ingredient that pairs perfectly with ramen noodles is pork spam! We have found a tasty recipe recommended by SPAM® Classic themselves on how to deliciously blend spam in with your ramen recipe to add flavor.
Here is a simple step by step method on how to cook spam in your ramen recipe:
You will need:
- 1 pack/serving of ramen noodles
- chosen spam flavor (we recommend SPAM® Classic for this one)
- 1/4 cup chopped broccoli
- 2 bell peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- sweet chili sauce (as desired)
How to make:
- Step 1: Cook your ramen noodles according to the package instructions and the seasoning packet that is included.
- Step 2: Drain and discard the liquid and set the noodles aside while you heat the spam.
- Step 3: Use a large skillet or frying pan and add SPAM® Classic to the pan at a moderate heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Step 4: Remove the heated spam from the skillet.
- Step 5: Heat any type of oil over a medium heat and add sauté broccoli and 2 bell peppers for 3 to 4 minutes or until crisp tender.
- Step 6: Stir in tomatoes, sweet chili sauce and the reserved noodles, tossing the noodles to coat in the sauce.
- Step 7: Stir in the spam and dish up, ready to serve.
Cooking Spam Is Easy!
Cooking spam is easy as it’s a hard ingredient to get wrong. There is little risk when reheating spam as it’s not a meat that will burn easily. We recommend cooking your spam using the oven to make sure you get that crispy outside texture.
How do you cook your spam?
When you purchase spam in a can or packaged, the spam will be fully cooked already. When heating spam you do not need oils to cook it. Make sure to slice the spam before cooking as this will reduce the amount of time needed to cook the spam.
Spam can be super tasty and edible straight out of the can. There are other ways to eat spam including frying slices or pairing with other ingredients like eggs.
You do not need to cook spam to make it edible but if you would like to heat or cook spam make sure to at least cook it for five minutes. Any cooking or heating over five minutes may burn the spam or cause the spam to not be at it’s tastiest. If heating spam in an oven, leave the spam in for five minutes at 191 °C.