Many delicious and creamy recipes call for cream of mushroom soup, but not everyone has this on hand. Whether you forgot to grab some at the store or you don’t want to use cream of mushroom soup because of its additives and preservatives, we’ve got several cream of mushroom soup substitutes that are sure to taste like the real thing – if not better!
Substitute For Cream of Mushroom Soup
Substitute For Canned Cream of Mushroom Soup
There are many substitutes for cream of mushroom soup. Though be advised that not all options are as simple as opening a package.
Because cream of mushroom soup provides a thick, rich umami mushroom flavor, you’ll need to be strategic about how to mimic those flavors when replacing cream of mushroom soup with something else.
Don’t worry though; many of these substitutions provide a rich and luscious flavor that we’re positive you’ll love.
Best Substitute For Cream of Mushroom Soup
The following are great substitutions for cream of mushroom soup:
- Heavy Cream + Mushrooms + Broth – Yes, it’s true. You can add all of these simple ingredients you likely already have on hand in one pot to create a delicious cream of mushroom soup substitute in minutes! To do so, simply combine 1 cup each of your heavy cream, mushrooms, and broth over low heat and mix until incorporated. Be sure that if you use fresh mushrooms you sauté them first. That’s it! Use this as a substitution for your next pasta dish or green bean casserole. No one will likely notice the difference. You can even add a pat of butter or two to enhance the richness and overall flavor of the soup.
- Milk + Flour + Butter + Broth + Mushrooms – This method is slightly more intense because it involves making a roux. But honestly, the taste is delicious. To do this method, use ¼ cup milk or cream, 1 cup broth, and ¼ cup flour. Melt about 2 tablespoons of butter over low heat before slowly mixing in the flour. Finally, mix in the milk or cream at the end. Stir until well incorporated. Throw in a few mushrooms to make the sauce more “meaty” if you wish. But honestly, this step could be eliminated, especially if you choose to use mushroom broth. Note: Using cream instead of milk will render a much thicker and richer sauce. Nevertheless, using milk will yield fewer calories.
- Mushrooms + Milk – This is a much simpler version than the aforementioned substitutes. The results will be thinner and less flavorful than before. But if you’re in a pinch, this will work better than nothing. To help with the texture and flavor, add a few tablespoons of butter and maybe a little cornstarch to help thicken the sauce if you desire. Adding a few spices like salt, pepper, garlic, and dry herbs can also help with flavoring this otherwise bland cream of mushroom substitute.
- Mushrooms + Broth + Yogurt (or Sour Cream) – When using this substitute, you’ll want to cook your fresh mushrooms first if you’re using them. If not, throw your canned mushrooms into the broth. Heat with whatever spices you wish (garlic and herbs like thyme, oregano, and rosemary work well). Once cooked, you should move the pan off the heat before adding your yogurt or sour cream. Doing this helps prevent the yogurt or sour cream from curdling. When cooking, use ½ cup of yogurt or sour cream to one cup of broth and one cup of mushrooms.
- Coconut Milk + Mushroom Broth + Mushrooms – Using coconut milk, like regular milk will yield thinner results. But when combined with mushroom broth and mushrooms, it can offer deep and rich flavor, especially when helped with additional herbs. To create this substitute, use 1 cup of broth, ¼ cup of coconut milk, and 1 cup of mushrooms. Just be sure to only use unsweetened coconut milk. Using coconut milk that has added sugar will likely be too sweet and may ruin your dish.
- Mushroom Mix + Milk (or Water) – Using a soup mix with mushrooms is a great way to replace cream of mushroom soup. Though you’ll likely still be getting many preservatives and additives in your dish this way, the taste will generally be about the same. This will be especially true if you choose to add milk to your mushroom mix rather than water. To use this substitute, simply follow the directions on your mushroom soup mix package and add this at a 1:1 ratio for your cream of mushroom soup.
Healthy Substitute For Cream of Mushroom Soup
Low Carb Substitute For Cream of Mushroom Soup
If you’re looking for a low-carb option for cream of mushroom soup, be sure to take advantage of any of the aforementioned recipes for cream of mushroom soup.
Do steer clear of substitutions involving flour. These substitutes may prove a little higher in carbs than the other options.
Keto Substitute For Cream of Mushroom Soup
Because the keto diet focuses more on lowering your carbohydrate intake than it does the consumption of fat and calories, you can certainly get away with most of the substitutions mentioned in this post.
Except for those containing flour or when using broths that contain a lot of sugar, the recipes are generally keto-friendly.
Cream of Mushroom Soup Substitute Dairy-Free
The best cream of mushroom soup substitute that is dairy-free is our substitute that involves coconut milk, broth, and mushrooms. This delicious combination will be a great replacement for dairy substitutions that involve cream, milk, butter, and other dairy ingredients.
If you love the taste of butter and can’t do without it in your dairy-free cream of mushroom dish, look into trying a dairy-free butter. This’ll help enhance the flavor of your dish a bit. Maybe even try a vegan butter substitute!
Substitute For Cream of Mushroom Soup Due to Allergy
The best substitute for cream of mushroom soup due to an allergy is going to depend on what exactly in the cream of mushroom soup you are allergic to.
If it is the mushrooms themselves, then feel free to substitute the cream of mushroom soup with some broth and a little milk or cream. This will add a tasty mushroom-free base to the dish you are preparing.
Gluten Free Substitute For Cream of Mushroom Soup
Of course, if you are gluten-free you’ll want to avoid any cream of mushroom soup substitutes above that include flour.
But in addition to this, you’ll also want to double-check that your soup mixes, broths, and other ingredients involved in your substitution recipes are gluten-free as well.
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup Substitute
Whether you are looking for a vegetarian substitute for pancetta when you don’t eat meat or a good way to incorporate cream of mushroom soup while on a vegan diet, we’ve got you covered!
A good substitute for cream of mushroom soup that may be vegan is the coconut milk, broth, and mushroom combination mentioned above. Just be sure that each element of this substitution is indeed vegan. Some broths and coconut milks may have added ingredients that you may not be comfortable with.
Best Substitute For Cream of Mushroom Soup: Depends on Your Needs!
The best alternative for cream of mushroom soup may take some experimentation. But because there are so many substitute recipes for you to try, we are confident you can find one that fits your taste preferences and dietary needs.
Feel free to experiment with ingredients and flavor combinations. Share with us if you’re able to achieve the flavor that mimics cream of mushroom soup the best!